Sunday, October 11, 2009

In the Beginning

As Alex's 5th birthday approaches I have decided that this next year will be a year dedicated to him....I hope to START writing a book, not sure what direction yet, begin a charity in his name (not really sure how that will go) but my main goal is to start/finish his scrapbook that I have put off for 4 years. I guess my dedicatory year doesn't sound too promising, but it gives me something to work towards!

Moving on in another direction.....

My main focus for this blog is to write my thoughts as they come about life....mostly concerning Alex and how my life has been affected because of him. How my testimony of the gospel has increased in some ways and decreased in others. How my outlook on life and family has changed and what it means to actually apply what we have been taught from the gospel of Jesus Christ.
This blog is meant to be shared with all who wish to read it, but I fear that it might not be as intriguing or engaging as others out there, in fact it just might bore you to death, but for now its the only way I know how to begin what I have so longed wanted to start and I hope that my family may look back upon this and learn and understand what Alex's life meant to me and what it will continue to mean to me forever.

Often I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the night that Alex died, and so many things run through my head: what I've learned through Alex, what I am learning now, what I hope to achieve, what I envision teaching others and then I think; I should write a book! My head seems so clear, so alert at that moment and I feel as though I will soon be this magnificent writer with prophetic ideas and thoughts. Then suddenly my eyes fill with tears, my heart begins to pound with a pain I can't describe and my mind begins remembering the precious face I used to kiss every day, the imperfect body that I used to rock hours at a time, and the tiny hands that I used to touch; that used to touch me. And then my thoughts and ideas seem to fade away and my mind stands blank as when I first fell asleep, no longer am I magnificent or prophetic, I am just me who now can't fall asleep and has an ache that won't go away.

It's amazing how resilient people/life can be. Before Alex passed away I used to think, how will I ever survive the loss of Alex. It used to make me sick to think of his death...how will he die, when will he die, and then I would calm myself by remembering that he was alive today and that was good, that was all we had. Because tomorrow is always another day and you never know what that day will be like. Finally that other day came, sooner than I had hoped for. All my questions were answered. All my fears and anxiety were gone, because now it had happened and amazingly I survived!! I didn't quit, I didn't go crazy (well maybe a little) I didn't curse God, I just came to be! The only thing I recall from those days/months is that I came through it and I that I woke up every morning and went to bed every night. I guess that's what we all do. Not matter how good or bad things are at the time, what trials or triumphs we face. Each of our days begins and ends the same.

8 comments:

Grandpa Goose said...

Good start to your new blog. I hope you update it often and I promise from your writings you will develop a book. I have always said you can write, so now is the time to develop your talent as a legacy of what Alex brought into your life. Just remember that all life has meaning, even if we don't sometimes understand what the purpose is when bad things happen to good people.

Maureen said...

You ARE magnificent. What you have to say is important and it moved me to tears. What a beautiful way to honor Alex.

celeste said...

I'm really glad that you started this blog, I think that writing helps us see where we came from, where we are at and what we hope to become. I often think back of when we first met you guys and you told us about Alex, I saw the pain in your eyes and I felt your great love for him. I hope you continue to share your memories of him with us!

Anonymous said...

The words that you wrote took me back to seeing you and Cliff with Alex. I have a picture of Alex that you gave me that I recently framed and put in our home. Being a new mother, I think I am more deeply affected when I think of his strong spirit and the way you cared with unwavering focus for him. I have wriiten a 90 page journal about my experience with infertility. At the end of it, I typed out all of the things people wrote to me when they heard I was pregnant. It was an amazing experience to write it all out, and I think you are amazing too!

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

I look forward to learning more about Alex and I am proud of you for starting this blog, you are a hero and can help others who have lost children. Love you lots!

Charly said...

You are a wonderful mother and I admire you!

Rachel and Tyler said...

I want to cry whenever I read about Alex, you are so strong. I just read another blog of a friend of a friends whose baby just died this september. If you don't mind maybe Ill give her your blog address.

Lori said...

What a beautiful legacy! Your writing is so eloquent. I could totally feel your abiding love and devotion to Alex, as well as the pain of losing your precious baby. Thank you for sharing your inner most thoughts, in such a touching way. I'll check back often. Love you~